How to use
About Public Social Media
Go to the Community
About the Digest
Search Digest Archives
Select Digest Archive
The user trust system is a fundamental cornerstone of Discourse, the codeset behind the CFO Community. Trust levels are a way of...
There is a natural progression for participants in any community.
- Sandboxing new users in your community so that they cannot accidentally hurt themselves or other users while they are learning what to do.
- Granting experienced users more rights over time, so that they can help everyone maintain and moderate the community they generously contribute so much of their time to.
Trust Level 0 - New
By default, all new users start out at trust level 0, meaning trust has yet to be earned. These are users who just created an account, and are still learning the community norms and the way your community works. New users' abilities are restricted for safety - both theirs and for the community.
We also want to hide any "advanced" functionality from new users to make the UI less confusing for them as they gain more experience.
Users at trust level 0 cannot ...
- Send personal messages to other users
- "Reply as new topic" via Link button (UI removed)
- Flag posts
- Post more than 1 image
- Post any attachments
- Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
- Have actual links in the 'about me' field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
- Mention more than 2 users in a post
- Post more than 3 topics
- Post more than 10 replies
Trust Level 1 - Basic
Reading is the most fundamental and healthy action in any community. If a new user is willing to spend a little time reading, they will quickly be promoted to the first trust level.
Get to trust level 1 by...
Users at trust level 1 can...
- Entering at least 5 topics
- Reading at least 30 posts
- Spending a total of 10 minutes reading posts
- Use all core Discourse functions; all new user restrictions are removed
- Send PMs
- Upload images and attachments if enabled
- Flag posts
- Mute other users
Trust Level 2 - Member
Members keep coming back to the community over a series of weeks; they have not only read, but actively participated long and consistently enough to be trusted with full citizenship.
Get to trust level 2 by...
Users at trust level 2 can...
- Visiting at least 15 days, not consecutively
- Casting at least 1 like
- Receiving at least 1 like
- Replying to at least 3 different topics
- Entering at least 20 topics
- Reading at least 100 posts
- Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts
- Use the "Invite others to this topic" button for one-click onboarding of new users to participate in topics
- Invite outside users to PMs making a group PM
- Daily like limit increased by 1.5
- Ignore other users
Trust Level 3 - Regular
Regulars are the backbone of the community, the most active readers and reliable contributors over a period of months, even years. Because they're always around, they can be further trusted to help tidy up and organize the community.
To get to trust level 3, in the last 100 days...
All of the above criteria must be true to achieve trust level 3. Furthermore, unlike other trust levels, you can lose trust level 3 status. If you dip below these requirements in the last 100 days, you will be demoted back to Member. However, in order to avoid constant promotion/demotion situations, there is a 2-week grace period immediately after gaining Trust Level 3 during which you will not be demoted.
- Must have visited at least 50% of days
- Must have replied to at least 10 different topics
- Of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
- Of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)
- Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
- Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
- Must not have been suspended or silenced
- * These likes must be across a minimum number of different users (1/5 the number), across a minimum number of different days (1/4 the number). Likes cannot be from PMs.
Users at trust level 3 can...
Statement by Discourse, the system behind the CFO Community: We believe this trust system has been a success so far, as it leads to stronger, more sustainable communities by carefully empowering members, regulars, and leaders to curate and lead their own communities. But like everything else in Discourse, the trust system is evolving over time as we gain more experience with more communities. We'll continue to update this post with any changes.
- Recategorize and rename topics
- Access a secure category only visible to users at trust level 3 and higher
- Have all their links followed (we remove automatic nofollow)
- TL3 spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
- TL3 flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-silence the user and hide all their posts
- Daily like limit increased by 2